What the heck? I can't figure out this new Blogger photo thingy - I don't have enough patience anymore!
In any case, in honor of reading The Help for book club I made a caramel cake. Honestly, the cake was sort of dry but the frosting was AWESOME. It was super easy to make (I'm not the best person for frosting a cake either) but I'd rather eat the Duncan Hines Yellow Cake mix cake. So I am doing a single post for each so that way you don't have to read the cake recipe for the frosting too.
Caramel Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened and divided
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans; line with lightly greased parchment or wax paper.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Place 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, and 1 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture and 1 cup milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating at low speed after each addition. Pour into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack. Place 1 layer on a cake plate.
3. Combine 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, evaporated milk, and 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook (without stirring) until a candy thermometer registers 238°. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl, and beat 3 minutes or until thickened and easy to spread. Quickly spread filling over cake layer on plate. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; chill 15 minutes or until set.
4. Spread a thin layer of Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting over filling. Top with second layer. Frost cake. Chill 20 minutes or until frosting sets, then cover and chill 4 hours or overnight. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish, if desired.