Thank you Nesties (giving credit to whom it is deserved is part of copying recipes, right?) So here's a recipe that I will have to try, as I love macaroni!I've been trying to find some good casserole recipes, but those are kind of hard to come by, that's because my mom is the best casserole chef that I know and I can't help but compare ALL tuna casseroles to hers! So for this pasta I'm excited to try it because my mom has NEVER made anything like this before.
8 oz. Package elbow macaroni
1 medium onion, diced
1 lbs. Lean ground beef or turkey
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. basil
dash of black pepper
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
½ lb. Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 ½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. oregano
1 ½ tsp. chili powder
28 ½ oz. can tomatoes
1 pint creamed cottage cheese
2 Tbsp. Butter melted
¼ grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook macaroni until tender as directed on package.
2. Rinse with cold water, drain thoroughly.
3. Melt ¼ cup butter in a deep skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook until transparent.
4. Add meat and cook until brown, add seasonings, tomatoes & tomato paste.
5. Simmer slowly for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
6. Combine cottage cheese and macaroni. Pour a little sauce in a buttered 2 ½ qt. Casserole.
7. Top with one third of macaroni mixture, one third of shredded cheese.
9. Use last one third of sauce on top.
10. Combine melted butter, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top.
11. Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 325° oven for 1 hour.
12. Let stand for 10 minutes before servings.